Policies & Expectations
SCHOOL ATTENDANCE, ILLNESS, and REHEARSAL CONFLICT POLICIES for OLATHE SOUTH THEATRE
Under state law, students between the ages of 7 and 18 are required to attend school. Kansas statutes provide that a student is truant if they are absent without excuse for a significant portion of the school day, or three consecutive days, or five days in a semester, or seven days in a school year.
- If a student missed five days from any class that are not listed as conflicts listed below, the student will be removed from the show.
- If a student misses 50% of the school day, they will not participate in rehearsals or performances. If a student misses more than 50% of the last school day of the week, they will not participate at any weekend performances.
- If a student is absent from any part of a school day that includes a school matinee, they will not participate at the next performance.
- Students who are absent from school due to illness need to email Mr. Hastings at firstname.lastname@example.org by 8am or they may lose their role in the show.
- Students who leave school due to illness need to email Mr. Hastings before 3pm or they may lose their role in the show.
- If a student is unable to email Mr. Hastings, their parent/guardian is responsible for emailing Mr. Hastings or the student may lose their role in the show.
- Casting decisions are based on availability of students to rehearse. Priority is given to students without conflicts.
- PARENTS and STUDENTS must list ALL conflicts on the audition form. (The rehearsal calendar is on the Olathe South Theatre website:: www.OlatheSouthTheatre.org)
- Any classes, rehearsals for other events, private lessons, and jobs must be rescheduled outside of our rehearsal and performance times.
- Doctor’s appointments must be listed at the time you audition.
- Olathe South High School performances for choir, band, orchestra, drill team, or cheerleading will be excused if they are listed below with specific dates and times. Performances scheduled by your teacher/coach after you turn in this form will not be excused.
- There can be no conflicts during show week.
- Conflicts requested after completing the audition form may result in a reassignment of cast/crew responsibility for the student in the show.
EXPECTATIONS for OLATHE SOUTH THEATRE STUDENTS
Failing to meet any of the below expectations may lead to removal from the cast/crew.
- Be Prompt - “Early is on time, on time is late, and late is unacceptable.”- Eric Jerome Dickey
Students are expected to be in the room where it happens at all call times for rehearsals and performances.This includes being on time to rehearsal and to all your classes at Olathe South.
- Be Prepared - “Confidence comes from being prepared.” - John Wooden
Students are expected to bring their script and a pencil to every rehearsal, and to have their lines, blocking, vocal parts, and choreography memorized by the designated due dates.
- Be Respectful - “Love the art in yourself, not yourself in the art.” - Konstantin Stanislavski
Students are expected to treat others with respect, kindness and compassion. Olathe South Theatre is about being a part of a winning team. Student’s role is to help make the show better by helping others succeed.
- Follow School Rules - “It’s always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing in the beginning.” - Tony Baxter in The Imagineering Story
Students are expected to follow all school rules as found on the Olathe South High School website.
COSTS for STUDENTS in OLATHE SOUTH THEATRE PRODUCTIONS
Note: Costs should not prevent participation in Olathe South Theatre. Contact a school counselor if there is financial need.
- Students are required to provide their own THEATRICAL MAKEUP KIT. These typically cost about $25 and can be purchased online or at local theatrical supply stores.
- Students are required to provide their own APPROPRIATE SHOES AS SPECIFIED BY THE CHOREOGRAPHER or COSTUMER. Not all shows require special dance shoes. Cost varies for dance shoes.This is typically for character, jazz, ballet, or tap shoes.
- Students will have the OPTION of purchasing a SHOW SHIRT.
- Students will have the OPTION of participating in the “BREAK-A-LEG” BUDDY GIFT EXCHANGE the week of the show. Students are encouraged to spend less than $10, but homemade gifts are the most meaningful.